Food is the topic that brings people from different cultures and places together for some stirring discussion because pleasing our taste buds is one of our favourite things to do. But in this process of exciting our feel-good-hormones by eating delicious stuff, we may ignore the basic eating habits that can help us to lead a healthier life ahead. One such protocol is ‘keeping our dinner light’. The quote “Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper” still stands true for a lot of reasons which are –
- Improves Digestion – Digestion, as we all know, is the process of splitting up of our food into complex substances that can, later on, be absorbed by our bodies easily. Digestion is faster when you are upright and active physically than just laying on the bed. Therefore, eating hearty meals at night further slows down the process of digestion. Indigestion later on leads to acidity and many other gastric problems. To avoid these problems, eating light food can assist your digestive system in doing its job.
- Weight Loss – Majority of the population today is hitting the gyms in order to lose weight and build a perfect body. But according to scientific studies, our food habits play 70% of the role in giving a desirable shape to our bodies. If you consume most of your calories just before going to sleep, the chances of you losing weight decrease. Hence eating light at night can also play a major role in helping you to have a fit body.
- Good Sleep – For a sound sleep at night, you should avoid heavy meals, spicy food, and caffeine. Indigestion caused by heavy meals interferes with sleep. By eating light and healthier carbs, you’ll be boosting your relaxation hormones. You should include whole grain food in your dinner for better sleep quality.
- Blood Sugar Control – Many people eat, what they call comfort food, in the evenings to treat themselves at the end of a hard day but it’s a self-defeating response to stress. To optimize your blood sugar level, you should have a light dinner one or two hours before bedtime. This will also prevent night time hypoglycemia.
- Energized Body and Mind – Eating a small dinner promotes brain function and elevates mood level. An early and light dinner gives your body and mind time to re-energise themselves for the next day apart from working on digestion and nutrient extraction. When you allow your body’s system to work the way they are programmed, you’ll not feel tired and exhausted the next day.
Just the way drinking too much alcohol causes a hangover the next day which wears you down; eating a large high-fat meal at night can overload your digestive system and cause problems such as indigestion and even obesity. It might interfere in your sleep as well slowing your body physically and mentally the next day. The key here is to maintain balance throughout the day. Have a wholesome meal in the morning but have a light and healthy meal a dinner and see the change yourself. You’ll fall asleep easily and wake up with a fresh mind and clean bowels and have an amazing day ahead.